Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ruling Over Creation

"God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." Genesis 1:28

I'm teaching a course for classroom teachers called Action Research. The objective is to encourage and guide teachers through systematic investigation of something they do in the classroom in order to help them do it better - and to encourage them to make this a regular professional practice. David Claaerbaut, in his book, Faith and Learning on the Edge, opened my eyes to some biblical insight for the course.

He says that if we are to commit ourselves seriously to teaching and learning then we need to take another look at what it means to rule over creation. We are not to subdue and gain dominion over creation by conquering, subverting and manipulating it, but by knowing, comprehending its wonders so our mastery will be competent. What better reason to learn (or to do research) - that we might know as much about His creation as we can and therefore be the best stewards that we can be. This obviously applies in more arenas than education, or action research - but that's where I live so that's where I see the immediate application and insight.

2 Comments:

At 20/1/06 08:19, Blogger eets said...

I'll have to think this one through. Makes sense in my gut. My initial reaction...must be why God made curiosity inate, so we would seek to "know".

 
At 24/1/06 12:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In addition to the Bible, God has revealed himself through his creation. If we do not try to expand our knowledge of his creation, we are limiting our knowledge of the creator.

I definitly feel that I get a better picture of God when I try to comprehend how large the universe is.

However, I am not sure how much I am learning about God when I research generally accepted accounting priciples! I guess there must be something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home