Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Spiritual ADHD

Immediately Jesus knew in His spirit... Mark 2:8
Immediately the girl stood up and walked... Mark 5:42
Immediately He spoke to them .. Mark 6:51
Immediately the boys father said, "I believe Lord, help my unbelief." Mark 9:24

And those are only a few examples. Then take a look at how the Gospel of Mark is written compared to Matthew, Luke and John. Make's sense. Mark was a Roman and Romans were his audience; rulers of the world. Get it done. Now. Don't slow me down with lengthy descriptions or explanations.

Good or bad, that suits me. Yes, I like to ponder also, reading the same passage from the Gospel of John (NOT written specifically to Roman audience) over and over and staring and thinking and praying - for as much as a week or more. But generally I have the attention span and the "cut to the chase," "get to the bottom line," "what's your point" mentality of the Romans. I think that can be a good thing, and obviously God understands people like this - since one of the four Gospels is written in their language - but, it can't be good to be in such a hurry all the time.

Help me focus, Lord.
Slow me down.
Help me rest a while in your presence and with your Word.
Take me deeper than I might go if I'm always in a hurry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home