Thursday, November 10, 2005

I believe

"A Christian is a person who, with all the honesty of which he is capable, becomes convinced that the fact of Jesus Christ is the most trustworthy that he knows in his entire universe of discourse." Elton Trueblood in a spiritual classic, A Place to Stand.

The fact of Jesus is the most trustworthy that I know in my entire universe of discourse?
Do I know Jesus the way I know that the sun will come up tomorrow?
Do I know Jesus the way I know that my knees will ache after 3 miles of downhill pounding?
In my universe of discourse I know a lot of things, or at least think I know, and I have faith that even more are true though I wouldn't say I know them.

Trueblood gives me much to think and pray about, but I see myself more in a man we meet in the Gospel of Mark. He comes to Jesus for his son's healing and says, "If you can do anything, take pity on us and heal him." "If you CAN?" Jesus replies. "Everything is possible for the one who believes." Then comes the reply reflective of my own spiritual identity: "I believe Lord, help my unbelief." (Mark, 9:22-24)

I like this guy! Maybe he is exactly the man Trueblood is talking about - one who comes to Jesus with all the honesty of which he is capable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home