Friday, March 24, 2006

I Wonder

Am I courting trouble? You’ve read about people getting in trouble with their blogs, right? College students getting expelled because they post information about themselves which they should have kept to themselves, stewardess getting fired because of photo of herself in a company jet, job applicant not getting hired because he dissed the boss (who was leading his hiring process) online… etc. People doing the hiring and firing and admitting these days often search the net for info about individuals to see if what they find jives with what the applicant or employee professes. I actually think it's a good thing, but ...

I’m teaching a class at church and was (politely) pegged as a little too liberal for posting information about text criticism of the Bible (did the Gospel writers have a common source that they all used for information), and in the same class I was a little too conservative for posting information on a very conservative Baptist website (on a page other than the one to which I referred, they said the King James is the only English inspired version). That's okay. It really was a good discussion.

Then there are all the posts I make here in this blog, revealing hints here and there of some not-always-conservative-evangelical ruminations. But some of what I write about is over-the-top conservative evangelical right-wing American. A balance? Schizo? Wishy-Washy? Or just, questions.

Hmm… How private is this blog? You’ll see I’ve changed the photo of myself, and taken away some of my profile info. Paranoid? Guilty? Might I get fired? Maybe just surprise (or scare) some of my friends and family? I don’t think that’s the case. So I just continue… but I’m guessing there’s still some holding back on my part. I don’t think it would be good for ANY of us to tell everyone what we REALLY think.

Side note – sort of related. Afghan muslim converts to Christianity. Being tried in official courts, might be hanged. If courts don’t convict him, the clerics are inciting the people to tear him limb from limb.

I think my limbs are safe in your company... whoever you are. ;=)

3 Comments:

At 24/3/06 21:42, Blogger eets said...

I've been thinking about this exact topic. Shared my blog with co-workers so they could see pics of our baby boy. Then I realized I've officially drawn some lines of what I can and can't share.

Anonymity can be so freeing. On the other hand I truly believe in the accountability of community. Too many ways to go!

 
At 27/3/06 16:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about me. I won't tear off any of your limbs. If I don't agree I might debate, but I won't call you names!

Interesting thoughts though.

I might want to keep my rambling at a minimum if a future employer might be looking at my blog!

 
At 29/3/06 11:00, Blogger eets said...

For some reason I re-read this and was realizing some things never change.

In Jesus' time people were looking for him to be a political figure and assert political/military might.

Seems like a lot of us are still trying to fit God's word into our political worldview, thus people on both the right and the left taking issue with your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home